10.31.2016

Cocktail #26: The Sidewinder's Fang

Happy Halloween! This post represents the half-way mark for this little blog adventure and I've learned a lot about the history and crafting of many great exotic cocktails - but still have a lot to learn!

Being Halloween, I had a little fun with this week's post. I tried to find a "spooky"-ish tiki drink to make and the closest I could get with ingredients on hand was the Sidewinder's Fang via Jeff Berry's Grog Log. Berry notes that this drink originated from the Lanai Restaurant in San Mateo, CA in the 1960s.


1.5 oz. fresh lime juice
1.5 oz. fresh orange juice
0.5 oz. passion fruit syrup
3.0 oz. seltzer
1.0 oz. dark Jamaican rum (I used Myers's)
1.0 oz. Demerara rum (I used Hamilton)

Blend with 1/2 cup crushed ice for 10 seconds. Pour into a large snifter filled with ice cubes. Garnish with length of spiral-cut orange peel and mint sprig.


In Smugger's Cove Martin Cate shows you how to make an orange peel that resembles a snake head (to match the name of the drink). I gave it a shot, but I could use some practice! And being Halloween, I figured it was good a time as any to use my glowing ice cube. Also, I don't have a large snifter so used a tulip glass.


I also decided at the last minute to throw together this Liberace costume (hair and styling courtesy Jen LiMarzi!)! Liberace ... tiki cocktails ... a match made in heaven!


This was a fun and easy one to make, but nothing to write home about. I think I need to steer clear of drinks with passion fruit syrup or try a different brand of syrup because each time I use it I find it overpowering. It's not completely unpleasant though - the usual blend of strong, sour, and sweet.



And now for a bit of the real Liberace - he's amazing! Happy Halloween and Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment