7.05.2017

Cocktail #51: Marlin

As I've said before, I'm a sucker for blue drinks. They can be so striking and so kitschy (and in my view, delicious), that I really enjoy one every so often.



I came across this recipe in Jeff Berry's Intoxica! and it immediately appealed to me - the drink includes blue curacao, a good dose of citrus, and marachino liqueur - sounded right up my alley. Berry credits this modern era drink recipe to Clancy Carroll, a Milwaukee-based music journalist. Here's how to make one:



0.50 oz. fresh lime juice
0.50 oz. fresh lemon juice
0.50 oz. orgeat
0.50 oz. maraschino liqueur
0.50 oz. blue curacao
1.00 oz. Martinique rum (I used the closest I had on hand - a rhum Barbancourt from Haiti)
1.00 oz. light Puerto Rican rum (again - closest I had on hand was Plantation 3 Star).

Shake with ice cubes and strain into an old fashioned glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with green and red maraschino cherries skewered on a marlin swizzle stick.



Given the title of this blog, I added a couple extra flourishes as garnishes - a pineapple wedge and drink umbrella. The marlin swizzle sticks are, of course, available on Amazon, and they are even made in the USA.


To me, the flavor that came through the most with this cocktail was the maraschino liqueur, followed closely by the lemon and lime juices; the rums somewhat took a backseat. When I make this again, I would cut back the maraschino by maybe .25 oz. and also maybe knock .25 oz. of lemon juice off as well, to cut down on the pucker factor. But even so, this drink went down easily, and was immensely pleasurable, especially on a warm July day.



Well, one more cocktail to go! Stay tuned for when I end this little project next week with my final drink of the 52. Thanks for reading!

Given the name of this drink, I'll leave you with this clip from the film version of the classic Hemingway story, The Old Man and the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment